We've decided to share some of our favourite American ski destinations to help you plan your next snow-fuelled escapade to the magnificent United States of America. Not only can you enjoy amazing runs, incredible Après and luxury resorts, but you can do so whilst taking in the American lifestyle, with no worries about language barriers and the opportunity to experience life State-side.
Where are the best skiing destinations in the USA?
Immaculately groomed slopes, state-of-the-art lifts and an unbelievable snow record are only the beginning of Vail's appeal. Featuring nearly 200 trails across over 5,000 acres, it is unsurprising this immense ski resort is considered one of the finest in the world! When it's time to depart the slopes for the day, there is also the beauty of a Bavarian-style village centre to explore in the evening.
Skiing in Vail
With seven legendary Back Bowls and approximately 300 days of sunshine every year, Vail has become synonymous with those looking for an unbeatable skiing experience. The resort's ski and snowboard school is world-class, with professional instructors always eager to help you explore the snow-covered landscapes, whilst experienced skiers should take advantage of the high-speed chairlifts and head for Blue Sky Basin, the new jewel in Vail's terrain crown.
Après Ski in Vail
Vail's pedestrianised village has become the epitome of ski resort luxury, with astounding architecture mimicking classic Austrian design. With heated streets remaining clear of snow, it's easy to explore the exceptional shopping and dining scene, including sublime steakhouse Flame at Four Seasons Resort Vail and the fresh, organic cuisine served at The Sebastian Vail's inviting restaurant Leonora.
Where to stay for a Vail ski holiday
There is a wonderful range of ski resorts on offer in Vail that can fulfil any holiday type.
The Arrabelle at Vail Square
- It doesn't get much more central than The Arrabelle, an AAA Four Diamond-rated resort perfectly positioned for enjoying both the slopes and the village. Just steps away from the gondola, you can ski-in and ski-out and, when you're done on the slopes for the day, enjoy the in-hotel spa, ice rink and après ski.
Four Seasons Resort and Residences
- Another AAA Four Diamond resort, the Four Seasons is perfect for the whole family, with a childcare programme for those too young to hit the slopes or a Teen Centre for those who want to enjoy the company of those their own age. And to relax the aching muscles after a day skiing? The Alpine Spa has a range of treatment rooms and treatments that are perfect for unwinding completely.
Ten miles west of sister resort Vail, purpose-built Beaver Creek is much more reserved. There are upscale galleries, high-end boutiques and award-winning restaurants for outstanding après ski, whilst world-class terrain treats you to the ultimate mountain experience, whether you are skiing or snowboarding.
Skiing in Beaver Creek
From complete beginners to seasoned skiers, Beaver Creek's mountain is designed to welcome alpine enthusiasts of all abilities on a luxury ski holiday. From the beginner-only trails at Haymeadow Park, you can develop towards the intermediate slopes of Red Buffalo, which also boasts sweeping vistas of the surrounding landscapes from 11,000ft. Snowsport experts will also discover plenty of ground to cover, from the black diamond trails of Grouse Mountain to the exhilarating tree-lined Stickline Trail.
Après Ski in Beaver Creek
Beaver Creek's cosy village centre is the perfect place to take a break from the slopes. Relish shopping at a carefully curated collection of fashion boutiques, or sample some of the world-class culinary offerings, from a cosy cabin brunch to fabulous fine dining. Amongst the traditional wooden buildings, you will find a glistening outdoor ice rink, as well as the Vilar Performing Arts Centre, where live music, comedy and dance performances take place throughout the year, best savoured with a warming tipple from the bar.
Where to stay for a Beaver Creek ski holiday
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa
- At the base of the slopes, Park Hyatt provide more than just a great skiing experience. With hiking, badminton and tennis courts, fishing, white-water rafting and more, those looking for an active holiday have plenty to enjoy. And, for younger travellers, Park Hyatt has teamed up with National Geographic Kids to offer some amazing adventures.
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
- There is an implied luxury when you hear the name 'The Ritz' that is certainly present in Beaver Creek. Located steps away from the Bachelor Gulch lifts, this grand hotel is perfectly nestled in the White River National Forest and feels as those it's lifted from the pages of a storybook.
One of the world's most prestigious ski resorts, Aspen has carefully retained its heritage while transforming into a world-renowned mountain destination. With an annual average of 300 inches of snow; snow sports including snowboarding, cross-country skiing, snow biking, and dogsledding; and an amazing après ski atmosphere; the village is not to be missed.
Skiing in Aspen
There are nearly 70 years of skiing history embedded within Aspen's terrain. The 3,000 acres of Snowmass comprise the largest of Aspen's four mountains, complemented by an exceptional lift system, while Aspen Mountain is best known for legendary black-diamond terrain. The Aspen Highlands are extraordinary for experts - the Highland Bowl is featured on many avid skiers' bucket lists! As you sample the slopes, keep your eye out for the snowcat-towed Oasis Champagne Bar.
Après Ski in Aspen
The après ski atmosphere in Aspen is unbeatable. Whether you're travelling as a couple, family or a group of friends, you'll find a fabulous place to take the weight off your feet and reflect on your day in the snow. There are cosy chalets, sun-filled terraces and on-mountain restaurants in which to savour international cuisine, while Aspen's nightlife captures everyone's attention with live music and world-renowned DJs, as well as popular Ullr Nights which feature activities for every generation.
Where to stay for an Aspen ski holiday
- Looking for something a little more independent? Enjoy a fully equipped, self-contained studio at Viceroy Snowmass and create a home-away-from-home for the duration of your trip. Opt to cook meals in your own private kitchen or enjoy the mountain-view Eight K restaurant if you prefer to dine out.
The Little Nell
- If you want ski-in, ski-out, then The Little Nell is your best option in Aspen. The height of luxury and glamour, stay amongst the stars in this AAA Five Diamond resort completed with not only one of the best restaurants in the town but the whole state with Element 47.
Our range of luxury ski holidays in the United States of America
means that, whether you are looking for black diamond runs or a family-friendly resort perfect for teaching your little ones a new life skill, there is a resort on offer that's perfect for your needs.
Not sure on which location to choose? We have a range of luxury ski holidays around the world, from Colorado to Canada and Andorra to Austria. Our travel advisors are also always on hand to offer guidance and find the getaway that's perfect for you, so why not contact our Luxury Ski Holiday Experts