- Type: Luxury Lodge
- Summary: A sprawling eco sanctuary in amazing surrounds
- Feature: Feel the romance in the indulgent Tui Suite
- Rooms: 5 suites
- Star rating: 5 Star
- Nearest airport: Queenstown Airport
Location and transfer
Approximately 90 minutes by private car transfer from Queenstown Airport.
Five suites are supremely private and wonderfully luxurious. Four suites are suited to couples, whilst one is large enough to accommodate a family of up to four people. All with their own uniquely charming interiors, spellbinding views come as standard here along with modern comforts including Wi-Fi and smart TVs.
- Room View: View of the Motatapu Valley, mountains and Lake Wanaka
- Facilities: Sleeping a maximum of two guests, this is a bright and sunny suite with fantastic views that can be enjoyed through the picture windows and from the private veranda. A twin vanity and shower over bath feature in the en suite bathroom.
Cottage suites :expand_more
- Room View: Views of the Motatapu Valley, mountains and stables
- Facilities: These two standalone suites sit adjacent to the main homestead approximately 25m away and are shaded by native beech trees. Each enjoys views of the Motatapu Valley, mountains and stables from its private veranda. Inside there is a king size bed (which can also be split into two singles), a modern en-suite bathroom and laundry facilities.
Komako Suite :expand_more
- Room View: Mountain views
- Facilities: The largest of the suites, Komako Suite can comfortably accommodate two adults and two children in a king size bedroom and adjoining room with bunk beds. Inside there's a lounge and en suite bathroom with large bath and separate shower, whilst outside a private deck offers views across the mountains and glimpses of the lake.
Tui Suite :expand_more
- Room View: Mountain and lake views
- Facilities: An achingly romantic ambience awaits in the Tui Suite, located on the upper level of the lodge and with the best views of any of the suites. The jewel in the crown of this suite has to be the grand in-room copper bath tub, perfectly placed in the large picture windows for remarkable bathtime views.
All meals, snacks, refreshments and picnics are included in your stay at Mahu Whenua, as well as pre-dinner canapés and an accompanying alcoholic drink. Exceptional cuisine is as impressive as the dramatic surrounds, with locally grown and sourced produce taking centre stage in meticulously crafted dishes.
There is so much to explore at Mahu Whenua, with over 50,000 hectares of spectacular scenery on the site stretching between Wanaka and Queenstown, as well as the nearby regions of Fiordland National Park, Mt Aspiring National Park and Milford Sound. Embark on a scenic flight by helicopter or combine with hiking or biking for even more adventure, explore the vast grounds on horseback, go further afield on a 4WD trip, or discover the local wine making regions, there's sure to be an activity to suit. Learn about the conservation efforts in the area - there might even be a chance to get hands on helping to replant areas with native trees. Sport and leisure activities abound as well - there's ski fields nearby, the chance to try Via Ferrata rock climbing, calm lake waters perfect for paddle boarding, and, back at the lodge, a terrace with amazing views is an idyllic place to practise yoga or pilates.
Lakes & Mountains
From the moment you step through the generous wooden doors, a relaxed ambience envelops you, a sense of peace and serenity intensified by the jaw dropping views from the front lawn which stretch out over Lake Wanaka and the surrounding mountains. This eco sanctuary boasts some of the most dramatic natural alpine scenery you’ll ever see. The homestead itself is an attraction in its own right too – luxurious, homely, secluded, charming, welcoming and paired with the most heart-warming hospitality.