- Type: Lodge
- Summary: A unique eco-hideaway amid acres of working deer farm
- Feature: Enjoy close proximity to the eco-marine town of Kaikoura
- Rooms: 4 suites, 5 treehouses and a standalone three-bedroom house
- Star rating: NZ Luxury Lodge
- Nearest airport: Kaikoura Airport
Location and transfer
Approximately 20 minutes from Kaikoura Airport by private car transfer. When planning your tailor-made New Zealand holiday, your Luxury Travel Specialist will advise the best travel arrangements for your itinerary.
All accommodation options at Hapuku Lodge + Tree Houses are bright, contemporary, stylish and designed for maximum sustainability. Amenities throughout include Wi-Fi, televisions, air-conditioning, luxury bathrobes and mini bars stocked with local wine, craft beer and juice.
- Room View: Paddock view
- Facilities: Located in the main lodge, these spacious rooms each feature a large bedroom, en suite bathroom with large soaking tub, living area and balcony with views over the paddocks.
- Room View: Farm and mountain view
- Facilities: Nestled at least ten metres above the ground amid native trees, the Tree Houses offer a truly unique sleeping experience, with large windows seemingly bringing the green canopies into the bedroom. Three are available with one bedroom, while the Family Tree Houses comprise a master bedroom and additional smaller bedroom in the lower branches.
- Room View: Paddock views
- Facilities: The standalone Olive House was once where the farm’s olive press stood, now renovated into a beautiful three-bedroom, duplex property that sleeps up to six guests. It flaunts a huge lounge area, staff room and balconies overlooking the farm. As well as the option to book the entire house, the floors can be booked separately, offering a two-bedroom suite and standalone guest room.
Dining & Gourmet
Over 75 percent of the produce served up at the lodge is from the organic onsite kitchen garden or the local area, with menus changing daily to coincide with the best, seasonal ingredients. Local highlights include crayfish (Kaikoura actually translates to crayfish!), top quality venison, Kaikoura cheese and olive oil pressed right here on the farm, as well as exceptional New Zealand wine to wash it all down.
Renowned for its ecotourism and outdoor pursuits, the town of Kaikoura - just ten minutes from the lodge by road - is paradise for lovers of marine wildlife. Activities include whale watching boat trips, swimming with dusky dolphins or fur seals, spotting giant albatrosses, sea kayaking, fishing, llama trekking, or soaring above all the marine activity by helicopter. Back at the farm, you can walk or cycle along miles of native bush trails, passing by the resident deer and other species.
A brisk 15-minute walk away, discover the beautiful Mangamaunu Bay. With a rocky shore and often rough waters, this is a real favourite with local surfers. Swimming is not advised.