Top 10 Places To Celebrate New Year
Whatever the language, culture or calendar, a New Year holds a similar, shared celebration – one usually centred on good luck, wealth and prosperity. Whilst Muslims follow the lunar calendar, Buddhists follow a lunar-solar calendar and Jewish worshippers celebrate the New Year in September or October, there is a similar global theme of renewal, cleansing (your home, your mind, or body), feasting and gifting and it’s celebrated with equal enthusiasm.
Following the International Date Line from East to West, we can trace the chime of midnight from Samoa to Baker Island, and join in a mass toast to health, wealth and happiness, good luck, good fortune and reflection. We can immerse ourselves in a circle of celebrations, discover remarkable customs, join tempting traditions and marvel at peculiar rituals – all whilst indulging with a shared spirit of revelry and joviality.
Whichever time zone you’re in, and whichever calendar you follow, a New Year is a calendar date to remember a notable gathering with family and friends, a time to party and to reflect, to dance, feast and sing together, to ponder new Resolutions, such as ‘New Year, New You’, to travel more and spend less, or to learn new skills, or catch-up with old friends etc. Whatever your preference for New Year, there are a plethora of destinations, venues and parties to help you mark the occasion in style. From decadent ballrooms and grand black-tie Gala Dinners, to more relaxed occasions, such as a private beach barbecue or an island retreat, there really is a perfect party for everyone to enjoy.
If you’re excited to embrace the dawning of a new year, or simply keen to wave goodbye to a turbulent 2016, there are destinations around the world that can provide an exceptional party. Perhaps you’d like to party like a Roman and adopt the Italian tradition of celebrating across three days?!
Here are our Top 10 Destinations To Celebrate New Year:
1) New York Since 1907, millions of people have flocked to Times Square, to watch the world-renowned countdown and see a 12-foot glitter ball descend amongst a shower of confetti
2) Edinburgh The world-famous Edinburgh Hogmanay festival is a well-organised series of events across three days, including global musicians, traditional Ceilidh dancing in the Old Town, bells, fire, and an extraordinary firework display from the city castle. Tickets are available for a concert on the 30 December, through to a Street Party and The Final Fling.
3) Sydney World-famous for their annual New Year celebrations, experience a city surrounded by activity, from traditional indigenous smoking ceremonies, to illuminated boats in the harbour, family celebrations at Taronga Zoo or Darling Harbour, plus dance parties at Bondi Beach. The Sydney Opera House, the Royal Botanic Garden and Harbour Islands all welcome in the New Year with ticketed events starting at 6pm with fire tugs creating vibrant water displays.
4) South Lake Tahoe, California The Snow Globe Music Festival – a ski extravaganza involving dancing and music!
5) Hong Kong Join throngs of cheering revellers along Hong Kong’s waterfront and watch Victoria Harbour become the focus for a radiant 10-minute pyromusical light show that illuminates the striking Hong Kong skyline. Starting with a street party around Star Ferry Pier the evening culminates in fireworks at Victoria Harbour, and admission is free.
6) Paris Referred to as ‘Reveillion’ the Eiffel Tower is the centre of a spectacular light show, with dramatic fireworks. For those seeking a quieter experience why not take a romantic New Year’s Eve boat cruise along the Seine?
7) London The banks of the Thames River provide a fantastic atmosphere, with the famous chime of Big Ben’s famous countdown starting a glittering firework display around the London Eye. New Years Day is filled with parades, traditional marching bands, colourful floats, dancers in colourful and often flamboyant costumes plus an elegant procession of the Queen’s horses. From an exclusive show in Leicester Square, to the stunning vantage point of The Shard, there are an abundance of New Year events to consider.
8) Vienna, Austria
Those seeking a more cultured affair, should consider visiting Vienna for New Year. Classical and refined, with balls, classical concerts and celebrated symphonies, Vienna offers a more dignified and elegant approach to welcoming the New Year with a Champagne brunch providing a suitable finale the following day.
9) Las Vegas With over 300,000 people choosing to visit this renowned party venue, in the state of Nevada, the city delivers an array of colourful events along its four-mile-long strip (closed to traffic). Beginning at 6pm, the party flows from the crowded streets to the lavish hotel ballrooms, balconies and rooftops. World-renowned for entertainment, the hotels, clubs and bars never fail to disappoint with elaborate shows.
10) Dubai Celebrations here are a true spectacle, with magnificent firework displays from skyscrapers and beach displays reflecting in the ocean. Guests cannot miss the extravagant and explosive midnight sky!
Wherever you choose to celebrate from bustling city streets, an alluring shoreline, on board a boat in a harbour, or from the lofty heights of a skyscraper, it’s certainly worth planning ahead to secure a prime viewing spot. We are on hand to book your flights and luxury hotels (with a view of course), relay the best vantage points, secure tickets and plan your celebrations, in order to make the date especially memorable for 2017.
For further information and suggestions on New Year celebrations in 2017, please call our dedicated Travel Consultants on 01244 897 555.